Senior Global Software Engineering Manager
About Camelot Global
Camelot Global Services is a provider of technology and consulting services to the international lottery market. With an overriding objective to be a market leader in delivering modern, innovative and flexible solutions, Camelot Global’s customer base includes the UK, Ireland, mainland Europe and North America.
We consist of a thriving and agile software development team that is supported by lottery and gaming specialists who all have a passion for growing our customers’ businesses by providing rapid and impactful technical and business solutions.
The world of lottery is in a hugely interesting period of development and modernisation, with endless room for innovation and digital progress., It will be a challenging and rewarding journey and we’re keen to hear from individuals wanting to join at the very beginning!
As the Senior Manger within the software team, you will ensure that we deliver robust, high quality software to national lottery players in the UK allowing them to purchase games & have engaging experiences through digital channels. You are responsible for the software engineering expertise within the group including the recruitment and ongoing development of software engineers, ensuring they have the right tools and follow best practices and standards. You will build a culture where people care about each other, share knowledge to help others grow, teams are trusted and they take ownership of their software beyond deployment.
What will you do?
- Adopt best practices in software design, engineering and test automation
- Build a DevOps culture where engineering teams are autonomous and barriers do not exist between the teams and IT operations
- Drive continuous improvement, ensuring that the teams are constantly striving for improvements and never accepting the status quo
- Define and implement a strategy for recruitment, ongoing development and succession planning of the engineers
- Create a platform roadmap and work with Camelot UK architecture team to align the Camelot UK product roadmap
- Lead the team to architectural solutions that follow the principles of testability, maintainability, consistency, modularity and simplicity
- Ensure that security and operational concerns are considered as a priority and not and not an afterthought
- Line management of the Principal Engineers
- Provide the right tools to maximise the productivity of the teams
- Assist the Head of Software Delivery in capacity planning and ensuring ongoing evolution of the team structure to support scalability along with customer demand
- An experienced leader of multiple teams, preferably across multiple locations (Eastern Europe, North America)
- Good understanding of how to establish autonomous teams
- Experience of establishing standards for best practices in coding, code reviews, test automation, build and deployment processes
- Expert knowledge of software architecture including micro-services and event-driven architectures
- Demonstrate a passion for and understanding of existing and emerging technologies
- In-depth knowledge of modern object oriented programming languages (preferably Java)
- Good understanding of relational and non-relational data stores along with ACID compliance and eventual consistency
- Ability to communicate complex technical topics to non-technical people
- Be the advocate for building the right software as well as building it right. Ability to push back when asked to compromise under time pressure and demonstrate the real cost of having to fix things later
- Proven track record of development of team members, through understanding their career aspirations and having clear, well understood career paths to allow people to grow
Working For Camelot Global
We’re a creative group of people at Camelot Global, passionate about our work. We are not interested in formality or too much hierarchy. We like to bring the best ideas forward as quickly as possible. We’re proud that we provide a lively and challenging environment for our teams to try new ideas and achieve their potential. If this sounds like a company you would thrive in, get in touch!
The role will be based at our Tech centre in London