Java Software Engineer
DescriptionCamelot Global aims to be a world leader in partnering with lotteries to maximise revenue and net returns to beneficiaries in a responsible way. We provide technology and consultancy services to lotteries worldwide, with an overriding objective to be a market leader in delivering modern, innovative and flexible solutions, Camelot Global’s customer base includes the UK, Ireland and North America.
As a Java Software Engineer you’ll be working alongside other developers, client side developers, QA engineers and testers to build the systems which power the national lotteries in the UK, Ireland and mainland Europe and, as we expand, other lotteries around the world. Our systems need to operate at large scale and high availability and you will be ensuring that we can continue to scale as the platform and user base grows. You’ll be involved in the breakdown, estimation, development, testing and delivery of features into the software before deployment and support by application support teams.
What will make you successful?
Success is measured by the quality and whole software development lifecycle, by the interactions with colleagues across the business at all levels and by the degree to which Camelot’s cultural values are embraced. Teamwork and passion are vital for success in this role
We will expect you to:
- Design, build and test features on our existing platforms and new services.
- Work in a mixed discipline (development, testing, QA) agile team and engage in all aspects of the software development process
- Translate functional specifications and large work items into logical, component-based technical designs.
- Understand software performance metrics and use them to deliver high performance, scalable software
- Apply best engineering practices to software development, including unit testing, integration testing,
- Review others’ code, encourage good coding standards and raising the quality bar of the team
- Writing documentation to cover code, architecture and any other project artefacts and keeping it up to date
- Mentoring and pairing with other developers
- Provide in depth technical assistance on the software to the application support teams
- Keep abreast of and make recommendations on technologies and techniques to use within the team
Tech stack experience:
- Software development in Java 8 with a strong bias for quality and engineering excellence
- Experience in building low latency, scalable e-commerce systems.
- Great design and problem solving skills, with demonstrable experience in building simple implementations to complex problems and object oriented design
- Significant experience developing with multiple java technologies (e.g. Spring, JMS, J2EE, Groovy, Grails, Hibernate, etc)
- Strong knowledge of building distributed systems using Web Services, ESBs, asynchronous messaging, service versioning/backwards compatibility issues
- It would also be beneficial if the candidate had some testing experience using the Spock framework.
- Strong knowledge and experience in testing and/or developing Web services (REST and/or SOAP).
Some Of The Things We Look For
- Friendly people who like to join in and contribute.
- Independent thinking, and not being afraid to suggest new ideas
- Pride in the work you do and everything you get involved with
- Data driven but able to make judgment calls when necessary
- Obsession with your craft, down to the smallest detail.
- Driven by delivery, delivering on time and to a high standard
If you are an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first, you will thrive in this role. Please apply and one of our inhouse team members will reach out to you directly. .